Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Race recap: Jingle Bell Run

I ran my third 5K since September on Saturday. Each 5K I have improved in time (22:35 & 21:58) so on Saturday I really hoped to do better than my 21:58 I had clocked in October. I knew that I wouldn't probably hit my PR since that isn't a realistic goal to have at this point, but I figured a 21:30 would be obtainable.

I was really excited about my outfit for the race. For the first time I really put some effort into my outfit.

DIY sparkle skirt + Target festive socks

Brooks long sleeved tech shirt, Green Nike t-shirt,
Brooks spandex, festive socks from Target, DIY sparkle skirt made by me & Brooks armwarmers that aren't visible

I really wanted to purchase the red & white striped socks at Target, but on Monday 11/26 they were sold out. I bought the LAST pair of festive socks that were knee high in the store. Crazy.

Friday night I did not feel good. I was more exhausted from a crazy work week and a killer workout at Farmgirlfit. I knew that going to the 6:30 pm class the night before a 5K probably wasn't smart, but I really didn't want to miss out on a workout so I went anyways. 80 box jumps later I was cursing at my decision making process. 

I had the chance to pick up my bib and t-shirt after work on Friday. I actually like the shirt for it being cotton!

I woke up on Saturday feeling better than I had the night before, but was still tired. My legs felt thrashed so I did some stretching in between inhaling my pumpkin spice coffee and oatmeal. The race started at 8:55 am for the 8:00 & below pace group so I left my house a little after 8:00 am so I could find parking. The gals at Farmgirlfit had all agreed to meet at 8:30 for a group photo. It was a little chilly and the group was small, but it was still nice to see some familiar faces. We all got to chatting that I almost missed the start of my wave. Because of my bad timing I did a lot of weaving for the first 1/2 mile. I was annoyed, but it happens. The race is a pretty big event for Spokane with about 1500 participants. 

The race itself was uneventful. I got too warm and had to pull off my NorthFace gloves and was wishing I wasn't wearing my Brooks arm warmers. My lungs were absolutely on fire from about the 1 mile point. At mile 1.5 my legs felt like they were going to fall off. At mile 2 I felt like I was going to pass out and vomit all over myself. At mile 2.5 my body was numb with pain, but I realized my pace was rocking so I started to think about cupcakes, puppies & unicorns and dug deep. The last 1/4 of a mile was spent puddle jumping my way across the finish line. 

Overall time 20:44. 

Don't ask how I pulled that time off. I am still asking myself the same question. I shouldn't question my ability, I am not trying to do that. I am just amazed at how I was able to keep up my cardio over the summer months with just spinning and lifting weights. I was so stinking close to my PR of 20:21 with only 2 speed workouts and only one 20 mile week in 7 months. Granted it hurt like you know what, but I was so close! I don't know when my next 5K will be, but it won't be until after the first of the year. You can beat that I want to break the 20 minute barrier and that will be my main goal. After January Matt said I could look into maybe a 10K so the 5K goal might get put on hold for a bit. I still don't want to jinx myself so I only have "aspirations" for a couple of races, nothing in writing yet. 


Hi- Who is this person?! Look at that form!!!!!! Thank you Matt for helping me improve so much. All of the running drills and prehab/rehab stretches have worked wonders!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration