Monday, December 3, 2012

Featured Runner: Matt Silvers, PhD


I am really excited about this feature because Matt is my running coach. I have been working with Matt since this last February when I started training for the Eugene Marathon. He has diligently worked with me through my recovery from compartment syndrome and has been the reinforcement of positive thinking when I needed it the most (see his running advice). Matt has always been incredibly patient with me and understands my competitive drive. I couldn't ask for someone better to have on my team!

Matt is currently training for the 2013 IM in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. When he isn't coaching or training for his own events, he is an assistant professor at Whitworth University where he teaches in the Health Sciences Department. He is also married and has three young children who keep him busy.

Name: Matt Silvers
Matt competing in his first IM competition

Age: 33

Years running: 17

Favorite distance: 5K

PRs: 5K - 16:12, 5 mile – 28:03, Bloomsday – 46:48, Marathon - 3:13

How did you get into running: Started running XC in high school and never really stopped

How many marathons have you run: 2 open marathons + 2 Ironman marathons + 2 50Ks

Have you ever completed a triathlon or IM? 2 Ironmans (1 more slated for June 2013) and multiple sprint tris

How do you find time/make time to train: I workout late at night after my family goes to sleep or I don’t train and just race (usually the latter doesn’t work out so well)

Favorite cross training workout: Circuit training with weights or working the heavy bag and speed bag

Favorite place to run: Tubbs Hill, Coeur d’Alene

Favorite/most memorable race: Running Bloomsday as a Ghostbuster in 2008

Favorite pre-race meal: Clif Bar

Matt & Alan Webb at the Nike Team Nationals
Favorite post-race treat: Pizza

Favorite quote: To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the Gift (Steve Prefontaine)

Favorite running shoe: Brooks Ghost series

Must have running accessory: I’ve fallen  in love with GPS watches

Best running advice: Be patient, be positive, be persistent – results will come

Running accomplishment you are most proud of: I managed a 4:13 marathon in my 2008 Ironman race following 3 months of zero run training (zero meaning nothing, nada, zip, and zilch) and 2 weeks of bike training.

Anything additional you would like to add? Running should be a part of your life, not your entire life.  Also, I am thankful that I can run. Some others are less fortunate and nothing is for certain.  Tomorrow, I could lose my legs and never run again.  For that reason, I try to take enjoy the sheer aspect of running every chance I get.  

Matt was recently interviewed by Timex representative, Dave Erickson, about marathon preparation. There are 4 videos, each with a different topic:


Topic #1 – How to use an interval timer plus hydration and nutrition alerts



Topic #2: How to use heart rate and pacing during a marathon


Topic #3: How to use hands-free alerts while running


Topic #4: Running Cadence 101

--Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration