Friday, May 18, 2012

Picky Bars Review: It’s freaking science dude




I was so excited to have the opportunity to sample Picky Bars recently. If you haven’t tried Picky Bars, you are missing out. They are delicious & nutritious!

What are Picky Bars????

Picky Bars were created by Lauren Fleshman for her husband Jesse Thomas who is a professional triathlete who happens to have a dairy and gluten intolerance.  She wanted to make a healthy and athletically balanced yummy tasting bar for Jesse that could help fuel his training. At the time Lauren was battling an injury so she devoted her energy to perfecting the Picky Bar with her good friend Stephanie Rothstein. Together the three of them have created a healthy & delicious treat that is pure genius. 

Not only are Picky Bars incredibly tasty they are GOOD FOR YOU! This list was hijacked directly from the Picky Bar’s “nutritional principles” tab on their website.

  • Considered to be an "ideal size:" 200 calories or less.  Great size for <30min post-workout recovery, one hour before exercise (or cut in half for 20-30 min before), or the perfect snack size between meals.)
  • Have a 4:1 carbohydrate/protein ratio that is ideal for recovery and maximizes absorption of nutrients.
  • Be gluten and dairy free
  • Have balanced macro-nutrients (25% fat, 60% carbohydrate, 15% protein) for hunger control and happy digestion.
  • Select carbohydrate sources that promote level blood sugar, sustained energy, and nutrient absorption.
  • Use whole foods that are geographically nearby whenever we can.
  • Minimize soy content (less than 1%) since most people get too much of it daily without realizing it.
  • Provide a mixture of nuts and seeds for nutrient diversity (e.g. cashews are good for vitamin K while almonds are high in vitamin E).


I had the opportunity to sample all 4 flavors of Picky Bars. It is a tough decision to say which was my favorite, because honestly they all taste awesome. However, since I love coffee I will say that the “Smooth Caffeinator” was my favorite. The coffee flavor in it is so good!
FLAVORS (description verbiage from Picky Bar's website):
Lauren's Mega Nuts: The original Picky Bar flavor!!!! It is made with Peanut butter, mixed nuts, semi sweet chocolate chips and all the other goodness we've listed. It tastes like crispy peanut butter and jelly but with a little zing.
All-In-Almond: This bar is peanut free, vegan, almond butter based and sweetened with agave nectar.
Nutless Wonder:  This bar is made free of peanuts and tree nuts and made using sunflower seed butter.
Smooth Caffeinator: This bar is pure hazelnut mocha madness and my favorite Picky Bar.  It is made with rich hazelnut butter mixed and a sprinkling of roasted coffee. Coffee + Picky Bar= amazing treat!


When I was in Eugene for the Marathon a couple of weeks ago, I even had the opportunity to meet Lauren. I was a little star struck when I first saw her. She is so incredibly gifted and an all around great person. 

Lauren is FUN with a capital "F"

What did I love the most about Picky Bars?
I loved how filling and nutritious these bars were and absolutely loved the chunks of chocolate! I also liked how they didn’t feel as dense as a Clif Bar and they seemed to agree with my stomach which has been a bit finicky on my lately. A Picky Bar has become my new “go to” snack. 


When I was doing research on Picky Bars I realized that there was no where in Spokane where I could buy them. I was a little bummed about this, but you can order them online on their website. They also have a club you can join called the Picky Club. I joined on Wednesday and I am looking forward to receiving my first Picky Bars in the mail. Joining is easy! I simply emailed Stephanie and told her I wanted to join the Picky Club. I received an email back from her within the hour detailing what I had to do to sign up. There was a link to register for Pay Pal which only took about 5 minutes to complete. Each month $37 will be charged to my credit card and I will receive 18 Picky Bars in the mail. Next I emailed Stephanie back letting her know that I had completed the Pay Pal process. I let her know my t-shirt size (yes, you get a shirt--I am excited) and how many of each bar I would like to get every month. Very simple and easy!


Being a picky eater is pretty cool!


Questions for you:


Have you had a Picky Bar before? What did you think?
What is your favorite energy bar?


--Tasha

15 comments:

  1. I keep reading about Picky Bars and love the whole concept. Now I need to get on the bandwagon and try them! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Amanda! I think that you will become addicted to Picky Bars- they are so good. Similar to a Lara Bar, but much better in my opinion.

      Delete
  2. I want to try one so bad! I had tons of gastro-intestinal problems till I did an elimination diet and discovered that I have lactose intolerance and gluten sensitivity (I can eat gluten, but not like a normal person...I can only have a little bit). So picky bars are perfect for my tummy! Holly said she'd send me one! That is so nice!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really nice of Holly! I can't wait to get my bars in the mail as part of the Picky Club. I think that we have similar GI problems. Not fun at all. It didn't start bothering me until the last year, but after eliminating certain foods my tummy likes me more.

      Delete
  3. I've had one, I think it was a sample in a race bag. Very good, I must say. I'll be looking for you on Sunday, at the race we don't have time for, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know- this weekend will be crazy busy for both of us! I saw online that they are offering a good deal if you sign up for the race again next year now. I don't think so! Never again will I do such a thing. I really just want to stay home this weekend- I don't want to go anywhere. Boo. Anyways I hope to see you!

      Delete
    2. I totally don't have time to go to this race either! I doubt it will really teach me not to sign up a year in advance though, since I saw it's $60 for next year and I'm already considering it! I just hope I make it to the expo before it closes...

      Delete
  4. I've still never tried Picky Bars but I really want to. FIND ME ON SUNDAY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I eat at least one picky bar a day -- smooth caff is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look good! Sound a lot like Larabars which are my fav. I'll have to check them out. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried them, but I love finding new gluten-free items! :) They look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never had them before, but they sound awesome and gluten-free bars are so hard to find...I'm definitely going to try to find some. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of these! They look great though - nutritionally and flavour wise :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. okay-this is like the 5th thing in a week that i have read about these bars. guess i need to try them :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Picky Bars are great except ridiculously expensive.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments & inspiration