Remember when I said I would love to maintain 30 (ish) miles a week? Well that hasn’t happened and I am totally fine with that. I have been consistently averaging around 20 miles a week with 3 farmgirlfit classes. This week I have high hopes of hitting closer to 25 miles a week because I have ran at least 2 + miles before every farmgirlfit class. Even though I feel sluggish in every workout, I am still working out 6 days a week. Even when I am tired the workout always makes me feel a million times better.
I am not trying to make excuses, but there are several reasons why I haven’t been running as much as I originally had planned…
1. My left hip AND knee have never recovered from Spokane to Sandpoint. They ache every time I run, making any run over 5 miles on the painful side.
2. I am giving myself an hour time limit for each “long” run. There is no need to run more than that because it isn’t like I am training for a marathon.
3. It has been hot (until this last week) making any weekday run uncomfortable. I know, I could run in the AM, but I have been sleeping 10 + hours every night. Waking up at 4:30 AM is not an option right now. I have been worried about running longer than 30-40 minutes when it has been in the 90s because of overheating and potential harming Bean.
4. I am tired, very tired. There is no running before farmgirlfit AND running after. There isn’t the energy to spend working out 2 + hours every day. I try to get in a couple of easy miles before each class just as a warm up.
5. I have been running very slow. The heat slowed me down originally because I was afraid of overheating, but my OB also said to not run faster than a conversation pace. My old conversation/easy pace was an 8:00 min mile. My new conversation pace ranges from an 8:45-9:30 pace. Now that it isn’t 90 degrees everyday my pace has been more closer to 8:45 or slightly under. Yesterday I even dipped into the low 8s which I was shocked with- the cooler temps definitely help!
What exactly has my mileage looked like the last couple of weeks?
8/19-8/25: 12.16 miles-- Recovery week following Spokane to Sandpoint
8/26-8/31: 10.16 miles-- Tired + achy hip/knee = another recovery week
9/1-9/8: 20.52 miles
9/9-9/15: 14.88 miles-- Hip/knee were really bothering me
9/16-9/22: 19.38 miles
9/23-9/26: 7.56 miles-- With 3 days of running left, I am confident that 25 (ish) miles is within reach
I have a 5k on Sunday that I just remembered about. Obviously I have no race expectations, but to have fun and just run. I will not be running the Leavenworth ½ marathon next weekend. I was pretty bummed about deciding to not run this race, but I felt that it would be bad to leave Tia alone when she is still recovering from her surgery. Don’t even get me started on what her surgery cost- it was a small fortune!
Anyone else racing this weekend?????