Sunday, October 21, 2012

Farmgirlfit

I finally did it. I broke down and tried Farmgirlfit on Saturday. I have been wanting to check out the gym for months now and I have been saying for months that I need to make some positive changes. I emailed them on Friday to see if it would be possible to try one of their Saturday morning classes and thankfully they said yes. I was nervous to go and really wished that I had a friend to go with, but I bucked up and went. I almost talked myself out of going, but I need to stop making excuses and get myself back into shape. I am so incredibly glad that I went!

What is Farmgirlfit? It is a non traditional women's only gym that offers personalized training in a group setting. It is a lot like what I used to do when I was doing Skinny Jeans at the Spokane Club last year. The workouts (they call them the Grind) you complete are very similar to cross fit. You do a certain number of rounds with a short break in between each. Each round has a certain number of sets to complete and you count all of your reps. At the end of the round you right the number of reps you completed on a whiteboard next to your name.





The first 10 minutes of class you can use to do your own stretches/warm up. I liked this because I can still do my prehab/rehab stretching. The next 10 minutes is a group warm up and then after a brief explanation of what the Grind is for the day the workout starts.

This is what the warm up and the Grind was yesterday that I completed:

Warm up:
2 rounds, each move is 30 seconds
Jumping Jacks
Mountain Climbers
High Knees
Plank

Then we split in 1/2 and while one group was running line sprints the other group were doing burpees.

The Grind:
3 Rounds, 1 minute each move
Battle Ropes
Kettle Bell Swings
Wall Balls
Pull ups
Weight pushes
1:00 minute break

After the grind you can do some "extra" sets of additional lifts or you can just stretch and go home.

My first round I did a terrible job counting and had 91 reps. My second round was 116 and my last round I killed it with 130. I got the most reps out of the battle ropes because we used those every day in Skinny Jeans. I had close to 75 reps on my last round of battle ropes.

I left the gym and my arms and legs were shaking. It was such a great workout and I loved the atmosphere and the friendly self competition to get more reps on each round. The Grind is set up in different levels so everyone's skill set is accommodated for. I was fortunate enough to know how to do all of the moves since I use kettle bells at home and I had used the battle ropes previously.

I am looking forward to working out at FGF more. The membership prices aren't that expensive. It costs the same amount as I was paying at the Spokane Club for Skinny Jeans. They have different levels of membership options that range from $79 to $139. They also require that you take a foundations class that teaches you all of the lifts. The price for that class is $65. Once you join you also get access to a member's only section on their website that lists what each daily Grind is and nutrition and exercise tips from the trainers. Classes are offered in the morning and evening Monday-Saturday. The workouts on Saturday and Monday are different, but classes on Tues/Wed & Thurs/Fri are the same. Unfortunately with my work schedule the only time I could probably attend class during the week would be at 6:30 pm. Ideally I would like to workout at FGF at least 3 times a week. I am trying to decide which membership option I would like to choose. I might email them tomorrow and ask them some questions before I make a final decision.

Today my arms are pretty sore, but it is a great feeling. I definitely got a booty kicking yesterday! I am glad that I finally decided to step out of my comfort zone and try something new. I had a great workout and a fun time while doing it.

--Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration