Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Try new things...you might like them!

Sometimes I find myself in a food rut. It seems like I always eat the same foods every single day- boring! I find that when I do branch out and try something new/different most of the time it's a success. I have had two recent successes in the branching out category. Recently, thanks to my BFF Cassie, I have tried almond milk and tofu noodles. Both, I absolutely loved! I know, I am totally living on the edge. :-)

Trying the tofu noodles was a definite stretch for me. My new "bible" (HG cookbook) has multiple recipes calling for the use of tofu noodles. Cass had mentioned that the noodles were pretty good. I figured that they wouldn't kill me so I added them to my weekly grocery list. When I went to FM to buy my week's supply of food they were all sold out of the tofu noodles. I took that as a good sign and decided to make the trek across town to Huckleberry's. I scored the tofu noodles there and they were even on sale. Double bonus points!

I have since had the noodles twice for dinner this last week. They are incredible versatile, quick to cook, and taste nothing like tofu to me. I made one HG recipe, but the second time I used them I created my own concoction of the noodles, asian chilli sauce, soy sauce, rice vinegar, and veggies. It took less than 5 minutes to prepare, was delish, and filling. I can't wait to actually cook some of HG recipes because they all sound yummy!

Tofu Noodles

Nutrition content (per package):
Fat 0.5 grams
Carbs 3.0 grams
Protein 1.0 gram
Calories 20

These tofu noodles also have ZERO sugar and cholesterol and are also gluten & vegan free.

Growing up on a dairy farm made trying the almond milke a huge stretch. Honestly, I am not a huge fan of milk, but I try to drink some everyday. Thanks to Cassie (again) I tried almond milk and found out that I actually liked it. I had been thinking about giving it a try for a while because my HG cookbook uses it in a lot of recipes. I just didn't want to buy a carton and not like it and have to throw it away. So far I haven't cooked with it, but I have used it with my coffee, oatmeal & granola. I am looking forward to using it in some of my new recipes.

According to the carton almond milk has 50% more calcium than regular milk, all natural, made from real almonds, vegan, excellent source of vitamins D & E, free of dairy, soy, lactose, cholesterol, peanuts, casein, gluten, eggs, staturated fat, and MSG.

Nutrition content:
Fat 2.5 grams
Carbs 16.0 grams
Protein 1.0 gram
Calories 90

--Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration