Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Slow Cooked Pork & Beans

I love it when I come across recipes that have been "made over". I like finding the challenge of adding my own touches to the recipe to make it even healthier. In most instances I find that I can cut out a few calories here and there out of all of my recipes.

This particular recipe is very, very tasty. Not only is it great on the first day, but it tastes just as good the next day. You can also serve this meal as pulled pork sandwiches if you wanted. Of course, that will up the calorie and carb count significantly.....

Another reason why this recipe is great is because it can last for several meals. When you are busy it is nice not having to worry about cooking dinner when you get home.

Slow Cooked Pork & Beans (makes 12 servings)

1 boneless whole pork loin (about 3 lbs)
1 medium onion (slice & dice it up)
3 cans (15 oz each) of pork & beans (I choose to use Bush's vegetarian beans to cut out more calories)
1 1/2 cups BBQ sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar (packed)
1 tsp garlic powder

Cut the pork loin in half and place in a crock pot. Top with your onion. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, BBQ sauce, and garlic powder. Mix together and pour over the top of the meat. Cook on low for 6 hours or until the meat is tender. Remove the meat and shred using 2 forks. Return the meat to the slow cooker and heat through.

Nutrition Content
Fat 6.0 grams
Carbs 16.0 grams
Protein 24.0 grams
Calories 217

--Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration