Friday, March 4, 2011

Greek Yogurt

You may find yourself asking the question, "What is Greek yogurt?" I was thinking the same question myself a little over a month ago. I finally decided to try it and found out that I absolutely love it! I will more than likely never purchase regular yogurt again. I like how Greek yogurt is rich and creamy, but has zero fat. It also has twice the amount of protein than regular yogurt and is fairly low in carbs.

Greek yogurt is not only great for breakfast or for a snack, but it is extremely versatile in the kitchen. I have used the plain flavor to make vanilla cupcakes, salad dressings, and for a sour cream substituition. I have been collecting more recipes using Greek yogurt so I will be sharing them at some point.

Check out this website about the benefits of Greek yogurt:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/86488-benefits-greek-yogurt/

I have tried several brands and flavors of Greek yogurt and found some that I like and some not so much. I wouldn't recommend buying the Fred Meyer brand. It has a very grainy texture and I didn't care for the taste. The brands that I have tried and like are Chobani, Yoplait, and Dannon.

Chobani is my favorite, but also the most expensive. Go figure! I really like the peach and strawberry, but the vanilla flavor tasted kind of bland to me.
Website: Chobani Greek Yogurt


I have only tried the yoplait plain for cooking or the honey/vanilla flavor. I haven't tried their fruit flavors yet. The honey/vanilla flavor is good, but you really have to mix it up to taste the vanilla in it.
Website: Yoplait Greek Yogurt

In my opinion Dannon is just as good as Chobani, but a lot more affordable. Their vanilla is really good and packed with tons of flavor.
Website: Dannon Greek Yogurt


Greek Yogurt Salad Dressing

1/2 container of plain Greek yogurt
2-3 TBSP of salsa (I used mango & peach, but you could use any kind that you want)

In a small bowl mix together 1/2 container of plain Greek yogurt and the salsa. Mix in with your salad and enjoy!

Nutritional Content (This is with the Mango & Peach salsa)
Carbs 12.0 grams
Protein 16.0 grams
Calories 130

--Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration