Sunday, March 27, 2011

Black Bean Turkey Chili

This recipe is from the Biggest Loser and it was yummy! It makes enough servings to last a couple of days and tastes even better the day after. I had to purchase several of the spices which I forgot are expensive! Luckily they should last me a while and will come in handy since I plan on making this chili a lot. I chose to make this recipe because it would allow me to make my own chili seasoning and not purchase the pre packaged seasoning. After eating this chili I don't think I will ever buy pre packaged chili seasoning again! The best thing about this recipe was that it was incredibly easy to make. It smells amazing with all of the spices in it. It calls for an hour of cooking/prep time, but I don't think mine took more than 35-40 minutes from start to finish. I left out the cheddar cheese and cilantro for toppings, but one night for dinner I put some light Tillamook sour cream on mine and it was pretty good.

Black Bean Turkey Chili

Total Time: 1 Hour
Preparation Time: Under 15 minutes
Serving Size: 6
Preparation Method: Stove-Top
Level of Difficulty: Easy


Ingredients
1 (20-ounce) package ground turkey
1 cup coarsely chopped onion
1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4-inch cubes
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced (optional) (I didn't use them)
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram leaves
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional) (I used them)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 (16-ounce) cans of low sodium whole tomatoes, drained and coarsely chopped (I used tomatoes that had  jalapeno peppers in them)
1 (16-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
8 ounce tomato sauce
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped (I didn't use this)
4 tablespoons low fat shredded Cheddar cheese (I didn't use this)

Directions
In a large stockpot, combine turkey, onion, red pepper, garlic, jalapeño peppers, chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, marjoram, red pepper flakes and cinnamon. Cook mixture over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in tomatoes and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 5 minutes. Stir in beans and cilantro. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes. Serve topped with cheese.

Nutritional Content
Fat 2.5 grams
Carbs 23.0 grams
Protein 29.0 grams
Calories 220

--Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration