Monday, August 12, 2013

The week I had a milkshake vs workout out {it happens}

Last week was my last week to prep for the ultra relay (Spokane to Sandpoint) I am participating in this weekend. I think I had a pretty good week, even though I bonked on Thursday and took an unexpected rest day. Typically I would have taken the rest day on Friday or over the weekend, but there was no way I was going to be able to work out and make it beneficial for myself. I left work (in my workout clothes), got a large peanut butter milkshake (GASP) and then went home and vegged on the couch for the rest of the day. I was in bed before 8:30!

Most of the miles I logged were during the week because I knew that the weekend would be busy. On Saturday we had a wedding and a birthday party and on Sunday we went boating at the lake. I am glad that I was occupied all weekend, because I was a little bummed that I decided not to run the SeaWheeze half marathon on Saturday. It just wasn't meant to be this year- too many things going on. I need to learn how to say "no" to every summer running related activity. 

Wedding fun

Enjoying the lake on a sunny Sunday


Miles ran: 40.32
Miles cycled: 0 (that made me sad!)
Farmgirlfit classes: 3

Highlights:
PR’d by 5#s in the clean & jerk- I am now up to 95#s!
Ran a 5:52 timed mile after a super tough workout in 90 + degrees
Did 80 walking lunges with a 25# plate over my head- that was a hard one!

This week will be very low key. I only plan on running a couple of miles on both Monday and Wednesday. I also only plan on two Farmgirlfit classes to ensure that my legs feel ready to run on Friday. I am starting to get really excited for this relay!!!

Let’s chat:
When is the last time you said “screw it” and grabbed a milkshake on the way home from work?
Do you have a difficult time saying "no" to running events?
Walking lunges with weight- love it or hate it?


--Tasha

23 comments:

  1. Good for you for listening to your body and taking a rest day when you needed it! Mmm, I bet that peanut butter milkshake tasted great.

    Like you I have a tough time saying no to running events. I really would have like to run Seawheeze but we had a wedding to go to on Friday. Next year I'll really need to pick and choose the right events as I head into Ironman Boulder.

    I hope you have a blast this weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The milkshake was amazing! I think that my husband is still shocked that I bought a milkshake. It is not typical of me to do.

      I am definitely planning on SeaWheeze for next year. Everyone I know in Spokane that went this year had a blast. I just knew deep down it wouldn't be the best decision to try and run + all the travel and still survive Spokane to Sandpoint. I had agreed to Spokane to Sandpoint before I registered for SeaWheeze. All well...still had a fun weekend and I got to go to my good friend's wedding. I wouldn't have missed that- you only get married once!

      Delete
  2. The occasional missed work out makes the ones you do nail even better - and vice versa! Sounds like you needed that rest day and I hope it was thoroughly enjoyable :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I was too tired to really enjoy the rest day, but I did enjoy the milkshake. Can't remember the last time I had one. It was totally worth it though!

      Delete
  3. Rest is needed! I know I used to struggle when I have days like that where I choose junk food and laying around but in the end, it's always for the best anyway to recharge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rest days are always worth it- even when they include junk food. :-)

      Delete
  4. Right there with ya on the rest! Good on you for getting that shake...mine wasn't a shake, but I have totally done it with chocolate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved the rest, but I might have loved that milkshake even more :-)

      Delete
  5. I think sometimes you need to skip a workout when your body needs the rest. I do it from time to time, I had a milkshake a couple weeks ago with the kids. Yum

    I don't know that I have ever done walking lunges with a weight over my head, may have to try it now ;).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you on the rest days. I always have a planned one each week, but sometimes my body just has a different opinion when I take it.

      Walking lunges with weight OH is tough. Don't bend your elbows. OUCH!

      Delete
  6. Life happens. Milkshakes are awesome. Do work son ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milkshakes freaking rock. Can't remember the last time I had one. It was ah-mazing!

      Delete
  7. I have done that, totally skipped a workout and vegged out for the day... it always feels AMAZING. :) Glad you were able to enjoy it!! I have a serious case of FOMO (fear of missing out) related to anything that is fun or interesting... and when it comes to running events, it's awful. I'm trying to scale back and focus more on bigger races but it's a work in progress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't remember the last time I skipped a workout and just totally vegged. It was great, even though I had to re-arrange my workouts for the next 3 days. The milkshake made everything totally worth it!

      We are totally alike in the FOMO! I hate saying "no". I want to participate in EVERYTHING! Especially since I missed out on so much last year. Right now I feel like I have to make up for lost time.

      Delete
  8. One day, I was suppose to be swimming, but instead I came home, sat on my kitchen floor and ate ice cream with the cats. It was a real workout!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sometimes the milkshake is just more important :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Listing to your body trumps doing the workout that pushes you into possibly getting an injury. Plus, a peanut butter milkshake sounds divine, and (shhhh dont tell my coach) but id probably skip a workout for one of those :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, I think I could skip a workout more often for one of those too! At least I don't have a coach to report to anymore :-)

      Delete
  11. Sounds like an excellent decision to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice mileage! That's also a great mile time for such hot temps! I love the idea of a milkshake instead of a run. Sometimes you have to treat your body after working out so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Listening to your body is #1, and dammit, sometimes a milkshake is just what the body ordered :)

    Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments & inspiration