Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Core Routine

I really have no set routine when it comes to my core work, but I use the same movements for each session. I start by setting my HIIT interval timer to my desired workout time. This usually ranges from 15-25 minutes. In the beginning I only started with 10 minutes of core. I have slowly worked my way up to 25 minutes. I started my core routine on a religious basis when I joined FGF at the end of October. I did my extra core work on the days that I attended FGF- usually 3-4 days a week. I now incorporate core work on Sunday-Thursday. Friday is my day off with absolutely no working out. With Saturday being a long run day I opt to not do anything extra after my run and that also includes core work.

A good resource that I have recently started to utilize is a website called “Random Abs”. Each day is a different ab workout. I try to incorporate the random abs workout into my workout time. Usually the random abs portion takes about 10-12 minutes to complete. It might take me longer to get through the sets they provide because I will usually add a plank before I begin the next set or some crunches. I love the feeling of burning abs. Makes me feel like I am accomplishing something.

I always start with my plank. I go for as long as I can hold it. Throughout the workout I throw in additional planks, but I usually only hold them for 60 seconds. I do planks everyday. The other components I switch up for each session. One day I might do more bicycle crunches or use my stability ball more than I will on the following day. I do each exercise for 60-90 seconds. That is where the HIIT interval timer on my cell phone comes in handy. 

What type of exercises do I do?
Plank
Dead bug (stability ball)
Pulse ups
Side planks
Stability ball crunches
V ups
Side bend
Stability ball planks
Leg lifts



Russian twists + 25# KB
Pendulum swings
Bicycles crunches
Goalies
Windshield wipers (I either hold my foam roller or weighted plate)
Sit ups
Spiders
Sit ups + 35 KB



Butterfly sit ups
Reverse crunch


Double crunch
Elevated crunch

I tried to group the movements together. If you don't know what some of them are, Random Abs has great tutorial videos.


*Just remember that I am not a fitness professional. 

Questions for you:
Do you like core work? 
How many days a week and for how long do you typically do core work?
Have you ever used random abs before???

--Tasha

35 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure that the only workout I really like is running. I like snowboarding, surfing, and hiking too, but I don't usually think of those as workouts. Pretty much anything else I do (such as core work) is because I should, and not because I really like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would imagine that just like running, snowboarding and surfing would be good on your core too. You are like my husband who doesn't want to feel like he is working out. Or maybe he really just doesn't like to work out. I can't figure him out. Men.

      Delete
  2. I think I'd like random abs - I need to give it a try. I don't have a set routine either but like seeing what you incorporate (which is more varied than what I do!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Random abs is a great too. The workouts are generally pretty quick too. I would say everyday would be less than 10 minutes. Let me know what you think!

      Delete
  3. I will have to check out Random Abs. You are so good at doing your core work! I usually just do a HIIT type workout 3-4 times a week and once a week throw in an extra ten minutes of abs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christy! I think that I have made the core routine into a daily habit now. When I don't do it I always feel guilty!

      Delete
  4. I've starte doing core work in all of my crosstraining days. Through my CPT book I've learned that training goes into phases, so working on my balance and stability so it'll help me in all areas of fitness - and so I might also rock a bikini better this season ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is all about rocking the bikini this summer. :-)

      Delete
  5. This core workout looks amazing - thanks for sharing. I try to do core work everyday, but sometimes fall into a rut of not trying new exercises. I'm going to incorporate these in. One question: do you do ALL of these exercises each day, or are the pink dividers (in the list above) showing different days of the week? Just want to make sure I'm clear when I do core work :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have awesome abs to Melody! I always admire them (I hope that doesn't sound weird!!!).

      I don't do all of those exercises everyday. Today for instance I will probably do 5-6 minutes of planks and then do bicycle crunches, leg lifts, russian twists, spiders & pendulum swings. I am always switching it up.

      Hope that helps!

      Delete
  6. Great workout! I will try it this week:) I have been doing core work the past couple of weeks and I can see a difference for sure. I love it! Nothing better than flat abs;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Rachelle! I am pretty obsessed with getting flat abs right now. I am on a serious mission!

      Delete
  7. Ooh, thanks so much for sharing this! 25 minutes is impressive... I'm lucky to get ten minutes 3 times a week, but even that has made a big difference for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura! You will have to let me know if you decide to do any of this stuff. You are right though, even a couple of minutes makes a huge difference. It also helps that running is good for our core too!

      Delete
  8. Great workout! Doing more core workouts is something that I have been really wanting to incorporate into my routine. It's probably the weakest area I have.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of my aims this year was doing more core work, and I have to admit I've been really inconsistent at it so far. But I have discovered dead bugs and love doing them! I also like a single leg bridge that my physio taught me - it works everything! Off to check out RandomAbs - thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing more core was a goal of mine too. I never realized how obsessive I would get about it though. I seriously feel guilty when I don't do anything. My abs are looking ready for bikini and boating season though!

      Delete
  10. Core work is definitely something I need to do more of!! Thank you for the Random Abs link. definitely going to start doing that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how it goes Beka! It's a great site to utilize!

      Delete
  11. Just found your blog ;) Excited to follow another fitness girl!
    Tamara
    www.theworkoutmama.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tamara! I will need to check out your blog too!

      Delete
  12. I do love core work, I have to say, and do it most days right when I get out of bed...otherwise I tend to forget it, even when doing other strength work. That said, I am going to check out Random Abs to get some new ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know what you think Amanda! I have gotten great ideas from the website and like how their tutorial videos make sense too. I like to do core right after a run or crossfit when I am already a sweaty mess. :-)

      Delete
  13. I've heard that Random Abs is amazing! Kudos to you for doing that long of ab workouts, I usually only have time for 5 minutes, maybe 10 minutes max... and that's prob why my abs look the way they do. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lora you need to check out random abs and let me know what you think. The workouts are not very long. I incorporate them into my time frame every day.

      Delete
  14. I loved your ab picture from the other day! Impressive, girl! I need to get to work on mine abs like you do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nikki! I seriously should have taken a before pic for comparison. They look a million times better now. I am actually excited to stock up on new bikinis for this summer. It will be fun since we bought a boat too. Summer needs to be here now!

      Delete
  15. Awesome workout! I LOVE core work! There's just something about the ab burn ;) I usually do core work 3-4 times a week - either after a strength workout and sometimes after runs. Thanks for the new ideas/webstie - I must check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. No wonder you have killer abs. I need more ab work in my life. I'll have to check out random abs!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i want abs like yours so maybe I should do this :) i'm getting back on my plank routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have become obsessive about core work. I wish that it was easier to get the results that I want!

      Delete
  18. It's better to inquire from a health professional the best core routine that best fits your body. Different body frames, need different workout routines. If you seek a personal trainer's help, they'll give a workout program that will solve your problem areas. But what you're doing seems to work, so I guess this workout fits you just right.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments & inspiration